I had an “It’s a Wonderful Life” sort of experience last night. Not in the heartwarming, family, Christmassy
sense, but rather more like a man hanging over a bridge asking if life wouldn’t
be better if he had never been born.
For the last week or so, since returning from Tamaland, I’ve
gone through a lifetime’s worth of all sorts of nasty, quease-inducing carnival
rides of emotions. Part of me just
felt immensely sad at saying goodbye to a country I thought I’d married for
life. Part of me was angry, no,
furious, at the rampant, unhindered oppression of the women there, as well as at
the people who, through condemnation, judgment, hypocrisy and apathy, have helped
me get to this place of despair where I now live. But most of all, I felt guilty. Guilty that I saved myself out of abuse because in doing so
I had to abandon the girls and women I love so much, to their own lives of
abuse. Guilty because I got out,
and they never can. The cognitive
dissonance of my own salvation vs. theirs has been ripping me apart. I love them, yet I left them. I would die for them, but now I must
live without them. The myriad
contradictions warring against my brain, the result being that I’ve
been wishing I were dead, with all my heart, since I left that land.
Then, last night, I dreamed that I was sentenced to hanging
for hitting a man who had touched me inappropriately (obviously my mind’s still
in Tamaland). At my sentencing, I
was given a choice of whether or not I wanted to die. Interestingly, the man I had accused was also sentenced to
die, and I went on my knees and kissed the hand of the judge and begged in
order to get that man a reprieve.
But I myself asked to die.
The dream felt crazy realistic to me, especially in the
passage of time. The days after
the incident. The days to the
sentencing. Then, after the
sentencing, I went home, prepared for my death, went to bed and set my alarm
for 7 a.m. (the actual time I woke up).
As the early morning hours (in the dream) ticked by, I came
to a moment of crisis in which I realized that I had made my decision too
hastily. I wasn’t sure if I wanted
to die. But there was no turning back
now. The people were already
setting up the scaffold, my anxious and grieving family had turned up, and
there was no last minute telegram, no benevolent leader making any decisions
about a reprieve. I could almost
feel the rope around my neck, myself swinging from the beam, the choking
sensation and then the nothingness.
As I steeled myself to die, I prayed, “God, I know only a miracle can
save me now. If you have any
reason left for me to live, please make that miracle happen.”
And then I woke up.
The wonder at waking up equaled anything felt in Inception. Years and lifetimes had gone by in that dream. I almost didn’t recognize my reality;
it took a full 15 minutes for me to realize that I really wasn’t going to
die. And even stranger, something truly
had changed in me. It was a rare privilege granted to me, that I got to pose a deep question to myself, and play out the answer to see what I really believed, without any real consequence.
I guess I’m not ready to die. Not yet.
Wow...really powerful! God is the greatest...He does the miraculous!
ReplyDelete