As my 38th birthday just passed -- I literally had to do the math to figure out my age! -- I find myself firmly in the reality of middle age. There isn't really any sorrow about that, just a placid acknowledgement that I'm in a different era, one in which cares are carried a little more heavily and sunsets a little harder to notice. In my youth I thought a lot about middle age and what I wanted to be like -- and wanted to avoid -- when I got there. There is a unique blindness to middle age, and I didn't want to forget the things in life that were worth being passionate about -- things that youth knows and old age remembers, but middle age, with all its responsibilities and daily burdens, finds very hard to see.
I remembered this poem I wrote in my youth.
Jesus, Stay
When
like a werewolf
I wake
and ache for moonlight
it’s Your gentle voice
that holds me back
like a loving hand on my arm
to stay me
Then fades the night
and all moon-madness
is gone in the day
but You are there
You stay
When go the golds, and gleaming greens,
and chamelion hues that tease my vision
with what seems like always-life,
when desire and distaste
mutate with the seasons,
and both drabs and brights do fail,
Jesus, You are the color that stays
Jesus, You stay
When with the years
my young desires
burn out of my body
dry out on the skin
and fall like reptile scales
away
Jesus, may hunger for You still stay
and may the milder bands of middle age
snap and shrivel into senility
around the ever-burning core
of You
who stay
When death dispatches me
beyond the circumference of life
that is all I know,
With me
Jesus, stay
August 23, 2000
I thought I was the only one who had to do math to figure out my age. haha. -Y. Hwang
ReplyDelete